The Coimbra Protocol high dosing vitD **************

A forum to discuss the Coimbra Protocol which uses high-dose vitamin D3 to treat multiple sclerosis.

Need for a new treatment topic called The Coimbra Protocol

Poll ended at Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:29 pm

Yes. We need to look at cheap, accessible solution where success has been demonstrated.
80%
No. It's not proven in a clinical trial.
20%

Total votes: 5

PointsNorth
Family Elder

The Coimbra Protocol high dosing vitD **************

Post by PointsNorth »

Prof. Coimbra & Co. have apparently been successfully treating thousands of those afflicted with autoimmune conditions including MS.

http://www.vitamindandms.org/researcher ... index.html

People on this forum and their own blogs have outlined their success with high dose vit D using Dr. Coimbra's protocol.

http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 23976.html

http://mscure.aussieblogs.com.au/
(I have exchanged emails with this individual who experienced complete recovery over 14 months. They had RRMS for 15 years.) this individual was a patient of Coimbra himself.

Dr. Coimbra feels that it is unethical to undertake a clinical trial and I believe this is why his treatment has not gained attention/acceptance outside Brazil. His 1.5 hr video available in the above link is quite explicit.

Having started the Coimbra protocol myself I have experienced some benefits in the 4 wks. since starting. I've had bloodwork done on Sept 5 and will have blood drawn again in mid-Oct to see how I'm tolerating hi dosing vitD.

I'm a CCSVI veteran and I'm starting to feel that endolethial dysfunction and VitD are linked as Cheer has suggested. Perhaps high-dosing D can reverse CCSVI over time?
My syllogism:

A. If ALL people with MS unequivocally have CCSVI (Dr. Sclafani)

B. Prof. Cicero Coimbra (Brazil) is CURING hundreds (I believe 900 is the number mentioned) of people with High Dose vitamin D as he suggests that pwMS have difficulty metabolizing D.

C. Endolethial Dysfunction/CCSVI must be caused by an inability to metabolize D.

We need to start a Thread in TREATMENTS called THE COIMBRA PROTOCOL
Albany 2010. Brooklyn 2011
Hayes inspired Calcitriol+D3 2013-2014
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
DrG B12 Transdermal Spray 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
Low-Dose Immunotherapy 2015-16
My Current Regimen http://www.thisisms.com/forum/regimens-f22/topic25634.html
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Re: The Coimbra Protocol high dosing vitD **************

Post by PointsNorth »

Coimbra Revisited

His protocol is finally moving out of South America.

https://mscurevitamind.wordpress.com/au ... evitamind/

PN
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
tzootsi
Family Elder

Post by tzootsi »

Very interesting - please eep us posted. I have been trying to find out more info on this protocol in the USA, not much out there. Are you under the care of a naturopath in BC? Meanwhile, my wife is on biotin and 10,000 vitamin D a day.
MSbro
Family Member

Post by MSbro »

Dr. Coimbra feels that it is unethical to undertake a clinical trial and I believe this is why his treatment has not gained attention/acceptance outside Brazil.
Then how can he scientifically determine if his protocol is working and to what extent? His evidence would all be anecdotal and unless you compare the results with a placebo you can't get the true picture. I'm not saying that placebo controlled trials are the be all and end all but anecdotal results can be highly manipulated to show not so accurate information.

And in the medical world you have to be able to defend your results and "prove" it works...and that's why his treatment has not gained attention and acceptance outside of Brazil. Having said all of this, if one uses his treatment and it works for their MS, who cares about established science!
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

@msbro the lady in the blog videos (last one) is in my judgement is far more impressive than ANY Post-CCSVI video. Also, She was treated for more than one autoimmune Condition. Indeed Coimbra is using his protocol to treat far more than MS!

I'm hearing from more people from around the world who are working with local doctors in an attempt to get results. It's ironic that people here at ThIsMS have remained in the dark for so long. Time to smell the coffee. The first posts here at Tims were made years ago.
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

tzootsi wrote:Very interesting - please eep us posted. I have been trying to find out more info on this protocol in the USA, not much out there. Are you under the care of a naturopath in BC? Meanwhile, my wife is on biotin and 10,000 vitamin D a day.
I'm working with several individuals including an MD with MS. Locally there is a naturopath using Coimbra's Protocol. Coimbra's protocol calls for aprox 1000iu D per 1kg weight. I'm taking 75,000iuD daily for some time now monitoring blood every six weeks for calcium, phosphorus and PTH. Read the Italian guy's blog in its entirety:

https://mscurevitamind.wordpress.com/au ... evitamind/
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

Glad to see this is finally getting noticed. I heard about this soon after diagnosis and visited a Dr in Portugal experienced in the protocol. I should pluck up the courage to start..its just that at the same time im chelating heavy metals, looking into Candida, IBT, etc.

I definately think this needs more exposure in the USA. Dont be put off because the info is from brazil originally, which often is not seen as "as serious" as if it was from the US or Europe...
MSbro
Family Member

Post by MSbro »

PointsNorth wrote:@msbro the lady in the blog videos (last one) is in my judgement is far more impressive than ANY Post-CCSVI video. Also, She was treated for more than one autoimmune Condition. Indeed Coimbra is using his protocol to treat far more than MS!
I have read about different non tested treatments for MS and there always appears to be some people who have miraculous results. And that's great for them but that doesn't mean the particular treatment will work for other MS patients at all.

The only way to discover if any particular treatment is effective is to subject it to stringent testing and compare it to a placebo. And unless the people involved in such treatments do this, it likely won't go anywhere and have widespread use. A pain in the ass to do this testing and it takes a long time but how else can you be sure?
zjac020
Family Elder

Post by zjac020 »

MSbro...lets be honest, its not just about using double blind randomly controlled placebo trials. Those phase of trials are VERY expensive, we are talking several millions, and lets be honest...whats in it for big pharma? You cant patent vitamins/minerals/supplements. Their "products" are new drugs/molecules/active components/etc. That is what they are selling, their R&D is geared to that objecitve, which makes perfect sense from a business perspective.

Universities do get involved at times...but then big pharma is very quick on detecting novel cheap treatments and quickly snaps them up. Show me one university in the world that isnt ready to accept a payment of dozens of millions of $$$ for the intellectual rights to research they've performed, its just not an option for universities, they need the funds, its always the case.

Ive worked for big pharma and still have several contacts in the sector...believe me I know how they work behind the scenes.

Having said all that, I do however agree that I agree that many of these protocols have success for many, but not for all and that it does require trial and error on a personal level (with the associated risk at times), but not trials from big pharma, they will never get involved in these possibilities.

regards,
zjac
EricDrake
Family Member

Post by EricDrake »

zjac020 wrote:You cant patent vitamins/minerals/supplements.
Thats strange because MedDay patented for Biotin (vitamin b7/h) as a treatment in progressive MS.
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

I have followed this for over a year now. I can appreciate the frustration that Coimbra has not conducted a clinical trial. His reasons for not doing so are puzzling. The anecdotal evidence is sizeable. Unfortunately the testimonials and most supporting data have been in Portuguese which I don't believe is widely spoken outside Portugal & Brazil? It's taken many discussions with people from around the world who have done or are doing Coimbra's protocol. Two have been actual Coimbra patients.

1. His Protocol is dirt cheap and simple.
2. Requires some medical supervision/oversight.

The low cost and safety profile of the protocol when combined with well documented success make this a no brainer. Many individuals (myself included) have already spent million$ on CCSVI which has not not been able to match the success of Coimbra's protocol.
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16
MSbro
Family Member

Post by MSbro »

zjac020 wrote:MSbro...lets be honest, its not just about using double blind randomly controlled placebo trials. Those phase of trials are VERY expensive, we are talking several millions, and lets be honest...whats in it for big pharma? You cant patent vitamins/minerals/supplements. Their "products" are new drugs/molecules/active components/etc. That is what they are selling, their R&D is geared to that objecitve, which makes perfect sense from a business perspective.

Universities do get involved at times...but then big pharma is very quick on detecting novel cheap treatments and quickly snaps them up. Show me one university in the world that isnt ready to accept a payment of dozens of millions of $$$ for the intellectual rights to research they've performed, its just not an option for universities, they need the funds, its always the case.

Ive worked for big pharma and still have several contacts in the sector...believe me I know how they work behind the scenes.

Having said all that, I do however agree that I agree that many of these protocols have success for many, but not for all and that it does require trial and error on a personal level (with the associated risk at times), but not trials from big pharma, they will never get involved in these possibilities.

regards,
zjac
Yes, these trials ARE very expensive because they have to be designed and carried out in such a stringent manner. And in most cases, it's only Big Pharma that can afford it. If you've worked for them you know that their R&D budgets don't come close to what they spend on marketing and sales. The heavy duty R&D is done by the universities and if what they have looks very profitable then it's sold to Big Pharma who $ee$ the potential profit.

But how else can one "prove" that a particular treatment or protocol works on a disease? The trials are needed to keep out the charlatans who sell the snake oil and claim miraculous cures if one buys their product. And this hurts the legitimate people who can't afford trials but perhaps have a good treatment. Science always overcomes fake claims but obtaining the science isn't cheap.

And after saying that, Big Pharma has been known to skew data from trials to get their drug approved. Surely a catch 22 with the patient caught in the middle trying to figure out who to believe and which way to go. No wonder my brother can't or won't make a decision to go any treatment at this time. I really can't blame him!
Jimpsull
Family Elder

Post by Jimpsull »

"What is vitamin D toxicity, and should I worry about it since I take supplements?"

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifes ... q-20058108

- be sure to exercise caution
aclaudia

Post by aclaudia »

Hello, I've been a patient of Dr. Coimbra for more than 7 years. The treatment is highly effective. My MRIs have not shown any activity since I started taking high doses of vitamin D. I stopped taking copaxone almost 6 years ago. Just vitamin D for me. :smile:
PointsNorth
Family Elder

Post by PointsNorth »

Aclaudia, welcome to the forum and happy new year! My hope is for Coimbra's protocol to take off in 2016!

Best, PN
Coimbra Protocol 2014-16
Progesterone 2015-16