Fiancee was diagnosed in June

New members should feel free to introduce themselves here
lyndacarol
Family Elder

Re: Fiancee was diagnosed in June

Post by lyndacarol »

I echo the idea from NHE: testing for a possible vitamin B12 deficiency is important (any person at any age can develop this deficiency – your fiancée is at greater risk since she is a vegetarian). Thorough testing should include the following 4 tests: #1 a serum B12 test, #2 RBC (red blood cell) folate test, #3 a serum homocysteine test, #4 a methylmalonic acid test.

In addition, I suggest that her vitamin D level should also be tested with the relatively inexpensive blood test called 25-hydroxy D3 (here in the US – I don't know the equivalent name in Italian).

A deficiency in vitamin B12 OR deficiency in vitamin D can cause neurological symptoms – even lesions in the brain. Even having lesions in the brain does not seal her fate – lesions have been found in people (when autopsies have been performed) who have lived their whole lives without neurological symptoms. By contrast, many of us have had symptoms for years while our MRIs showed NO lesions.
EngagedToMS
Getting to Know You...

Post by EngagedToMS »

NHE wrote:
EngagedToMS wrote: Again, with her MRI's looking bad, don't know if it would matter at this point.
Yes, I think testing is important. A deficiency in vitamin B12 can cause neurological symptoms that can mimic MS including lesions found via MRI. The only way to distinguish the two is to test for B12 deficiency.
WOW! That I have not read! However, she told me today, the left side of her body, starting at her feet is being affected. I am very afraid that for what ever reason, her MS is becoming extremely aggresive. Her doctors have some new "cure" for her (she means treatment) but I think tney are quacks. Do you know if it is possible for a B12 deficiency to affect the left side of her body as well?
And thank you guys for being so patient with me! I am just really worred about her.
NHE
Volunteer Moderator

Post by NHE »

EngagedToMS wrote:
NHE wrote:Yes, I think testing is important. A deficiency in vitamin B12 can cause neurological symptoms that can mimic MS including lesions found via MRI. The only way to distinguish the two is to test for B12 deficiency.
WOW! That I have not read!
Please see the references posted in the following discussion topic.
http://www.thisisms.com/forum/natural-a ... 24857.html
EngagedToMS
Getting to Know You...

Post by EngagedToMS »

Thank you all cor your help! You have given me a new hope! :-)