ABX Log

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Yes, it does have that effect on most people doing this regime!

I did take all the supplements on flagyl days but but I did forego the charcoal which I was at first trying. As you say, no time in the day, but it was only for five days a month.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Having good and bad days/hours is realism and I wish a few more people knew of its existence. No major tingling when you walk, though, is good!......Sarah :)
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
mrhodes40
Family Elder

Post by mrhodes40 »

Yeah good for you!
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Well done! :wink:

You're right about antibiotics and vitamin K. I have naturally thin blood so I take a bit of vitamin K even now but when I was taking abx, nearly every day. Strangely enough though, before starting this I used to have lots of nosebleeds, but not any more. If I cut myself, though, I bleed profusely: I always have done, even as a child.

Sarah
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Ah, hairloss! It happened to us all at first but soon rights itself and more. Wait and see, but I'm sure that Mack will come along and say the same thing. Both she and I have long hair that we seemed to be losing at an alarming rate but now it is full and healthy. When it starts growing back you will find lots of short hairs trying to catch up.

I never had my liver and kidney levels checked for the reason that it would be obvious to DW that I had liver trouble just by looking at my skin, but slightly high enzyme levels don't matter and will again right themselves. In my rather severe disease case it was better to carry on with the abx.

All in all you seem to be doing very well!

Sarah
MacKintosh
Family Elder

Post by MacKintosh »

Oh, my gosh! Hair loss! It was really the scariest period of doing the protocol (for me, at least). My hair was midway down my back and suddenly people were 'preening' me, pulling all this hair off my shoulders and coat, peeling my hair off their car seats, finding my hair on bathroom floors... The hairbrush was always full of hair and I was clearing the drain strainer every other day. I know I panicked, and actually it was Sarah who calmed me, telling me about her hair loss experiences.

For me, it went on for some three to four months and I felt lucky I have such a great volume of hair that the loss wasn't noticeable. It began to grow back all at once and I could stick my fingers into my hair, near the scalp, and feel this whole new crop of half-inch long hair bristling out of my head. Weird, but very cool, all at the same time. The loss stopped all at once and my hair grew in stronger and more elastic, plus it grows about half an inch every three weeks now, rather than half an inch a month, as it used to.

It'll pass. We figure there must be a lot of cpn infection in hair follicles.
The difference between what we do and what we are capable of doing would suffice to solve most of the world’s problems. Mohandas Gandhi
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Oh yes, I forgot to mention about the speed of growth: I have decided to grow out my fringe because of it since I needed to either go to the hairdressers too often or attempt to cut it myself!

Sarah
Last edited by SarahLonglands on Tue May 19, 2009 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
notasperfectasyou
Family Elder

Post by notasperfectasyou »

LR1234 wrote:Well I have taken the 2 doses so far of 400mg of metronidazole. Wow it has absolutely floored me!
It's great to see Sarah here, HI Sarah!

While I am on ABX vacation for a little while, I did want to share my thoughts about this. These are just thoughts, Sarah and others here are way smarter than me.

1) If you are getting Flagyl "beatdown", it's killing something. Maybe not CPn, but maybe it is CPn. But, it's killing something that don't belong in your body and, isn't that a great thing?

2) You can help your self feel better with Ibuprofen (take with meals a few hours away from vitamin D3), Tums, Glucose, Nori (really helps the stomach, get the flavored olive oil one if you can find it)

3) Take charcoal at night, at least 2 hours apart from all the other stuff you're taking. Kim takes 10 caps when she's on Flagyl and 6-8 when she isn't. Caps range from 250 to 280 depending on the brand.

4) Use Pyruvate. Tacking on to thought #1 above, You can make the bacteria killing power of the Azith better if you take 3gm of Pyruvate (OTC sup you can get at the vitamin shop) 30 minutes before you take the Azith.

Ken
It would be really nice to be able to put links in here

If I have included a bad link, google the word "Scholar", click link for "Google Scholar". Search for the name of the paper and author in Google Scholar.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

It's great to see Sarah here, HI Sarah!
Hi Ken, its good to see you and old Alistair as well!

The problem with number one is that tinidazole would make me weepy even on my last pulse before completing treatment: I don't think I had anything left to kill. You are basically right, though: there is a difference between crying within half an hour of taking the stuff and feeling absolutely dead.

Since both you ad L have been lurking on the new forum, you ought to read this from time to time:

http://www.davidwheldon.co.uk/chl_vasc.html

Sarah
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

All in all very good, especially about the other tests, but a suggestion: why not try tinidazole in place of metronidzole. It is equally good at its job whilst being a lot gentler on the stomach. I'm not sure if it is available on an NHS prescription, but even if you have to pay privately, it is only five days every three weeks or so.

Sarah
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Last edited by LR1234 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

No, you won't mess things up by only managing 100 mg of doxy some days. Now, if it was below 50 mg, tat might be a different matter, because you would be getting into subclinical areas. Better to take 100 mg than to forget to take anything!

Sarah
LR1234
Family Elder

Post by LR1234 »

Last edited by LR1234 on Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Oh dear, that is the trouble with the stuff. I only vomited a couple of times but never did when I changed to tinidazole. Its a newer generation nitroimidazole so I guess they have ironed out a few creases in the original.

Sarah
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

When my GP half heartedly agreed to prescribe, she wanted regular liver enzyme tests. David said he would take care of that, it being the lab next door. So he gave me the option: have them tested regularly and risk having to stop abx or leave it and start worrying if you look jaundiced. I opted for the latter. The enzymes might at some point been slightly raised but I never turned yellow and now my liver couldn't be healthier and neither could I part from a few remaining MS deficits from years back.

Sarah

Return to “Antibiotics”