does doxy alone help the way minocycline alone helps?

A forum for the discussion of antibiotics as a potential therapy for MS
g123
Family Member

does doxy alone help the way minocycline alone helps?

Post by g123 »

Hello,

I was wondering if taking daily doxycycline, helps in the way that taking Minocycline helps (before starting the full protocol).

I know Mino carries risk of tooth and skin staining, and to me it's worth the risk unless Doxy will work just as well without that side effect.

And if does work, is there reason to think one works better than the other?

Thanks.
duncan1
Getting to Know You...

Re: does doxy alone help the way minocycline alone helps?

Post by duncan1 »

g123 wrote:Hello,

I was wondering if taking daily doxycycline, helps in the way that taking Minocycline helps (before starting the full protocol).

I know Mino carries risk of tooth and skin staining, and to me it's worth the risk unless Doxy will work just as well without that side effect.

And if does work, is there reason to think one works better than the other?

Thanks.
Doxy has much lower bio-availability than mino and is less efficient at penetrating the CNS. Also doxy makes you very sun sensitive and you will burn very easily. Mino can be taken with dairy with only a tiny loss in efficiency.
g123
Family Member

Post by g123 »

Thanks. I am not concerned about sun sensitivity or conflict with dairy, but better penetration of the CNS seems important.
SarahLonglands
Family Elder

Post by SarahLonglands »

Doxy and mino have pretty much the same bio-availabiility, plus you can take doxy with milk, its just the old tetracyclines you can't. I have never taken minocycline, just doxy and it worked fine for me.

Sarah
An Itinerary in Light and Shadow Completed Dr Charles Stratton / Dr David Wheldon abx regime for aggressive secondary progressive MS in June 2007, after four years. Still improving with no relapses since starting. Can't run but can paint all day.
g123
Family Member

Post by g123 »

Thank you. I am starting Doxy.